Careers at Xtel Communications
Senior Network Engineer
Responsible for operating, managing and supporting high profile commercial customers and network services as well as associated infrastructure in a 24 / 7 environment. Day to day operational responsibilities include pro-active monitoring as well as isolation, triage and resolution of all network outages/impairments. Drives standardization and service focused instrumentation. Contributes to the command and control network-related activities, focused on restoration of outages, clear and concise communication to Xtel’s customers and rapid restoration of network services. Works and directly leads external vendors, third parties, and associated fix agents when necessary to address issues across the network, peering arrangements, inter-operability issues, etc. Works with limited supervision and direction while executing associated functions and responsibilities. Follows all operational practices and independently determines, develops, and documents approaches for non-routine solutions. Receives general direction in area of focus.
- Proactive/Reactive monitoring of Xtel’s Network Core/Edge devices using Monitoring platform (SevOne) to isolate and troubleshoot all network related issues.
– Process all customer calls/emails and take ownership of issue until resolved.
– Troubleshoot network outages, network latency, or CPE failures.
– Setup dispatch and troubleshoot issues with partners to resolve customer/network-related issues (as needed).
– Assist in service turn-ups and design of new projects.
– Direct efforts so as to maintain service Mean Time to Repair (MTTR) within contractual standards.
– Will be part of the Tier 3 support group.
– Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Advanced Knowledge of Networks: Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Carrier Ethernet Networks.
– Advanced knowledge of Carrier Ethernet, Routing and Switching, Data Center technologies.
– VoIP protocol knowledge, including SIP.
– Advanced knowledge of network technologies: Open System Interconnection (OSI), Layer 1/2 protocols, Internet Protocols IP; Routing Protocols OSPF, MPLS, IGP, IGRP, E/BGP, GLBP, HSRP, OAM.
– Scripting knowledge, TCL, Python.
– Hardware – Familiar with Cisco, Adtran, Ciena.
– Good Analytical/Communication/Troubleshooting Skills.
– Training for new hires as and when required.
– Create processes and procedures for troubleshooting and ticket management as needed.
– Initiate root cause analysis (RCA) request, participate in RCA calls as needed, proof all RCA’s prior to sending to leadership and provide feedback as needed.
– Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work any shift including nights, weekends and selected holidays (variable schedule as needed).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or Equivalent
– Generally requires 3-5 years related experience
– CCNP certification required